All over, Apra chapters are organizing events that highlight industry innovation, information and connection. Check out what Apra chapters have been doing this quarter, and discover upcoming events you can pencil into your schedule.
We provide monthly networking events that are open to anyone in the prospect development community. Our third book discussion of the year is focused on Brene Brown’s bestselling book, Dare to Lead. Join us for the next event!
Are you curious about donor advised funds and why they are in the news? Check out our blog!
Throughout the year, we have been hosting webinars focused on increasing Excel skills. We began in March with Excel Wrestling 101, then — based on attendee feedback — in July we hosted a workshop focused on pivot tables. Attendees were able to work on a test dataset during the workshop and create pivot tables in real time. In August, we hosted a webinar focused on designing metrics and KPIs — this was a conceptual session to learn what data to use and how to use it. The next session is during our fall conference and builds on the earlier Excel sessions by turning pivot tables into dashboards in Excel.
Virtual Fall Conference
Once again, we are embracing a virtual fall conference. Throughout the month of October, we will host an event each Wednesday at 1 p.m. Eastern Time. Sessions are free for members, and some are $20 for non-members. Join us for:
- Making Technology Work for You (and Your Fundraisers) – A panel discussion
- What We Learned from 2020: Major Gifts & AI – Presented by DonorSearch
- Using Excel for Data Visualization: Pivotal Tips for Prospect Development – Take the next step in the Excel journey
- Private Company Valuation: Putting Together the Puzzle of Private Wealth – Led by Marianne Pellitier
- – Join us on Friday after the conference to congratulate our chapter award winners, compare notes, and strategize for the year ahead
Apra Minnesota (Apra-MN)
- Apra-MN continues to join in on Apra Midwest's weekly coffee chats, held on Wednesday mornings. We also have monthly Lunch & Learn events on various topics, held virtually. View more on our events here: https://apra-mn.org/events
- Apra-MN joined Apra Missouri/Kansas (MoKan) and Apra Great Plains for the Apra Midwest Fall Conference on Sept 13 and 14. Wonderful presentations were given by David A. Lively, Prisca Zaccaria, Jennifer Martinez, Erin Lynch Moran, Jason Briggs, Jonathan Jeffery and Beth Inman. We were honored to have BFW and iWave as sponsors for the event.
- Apra-MN is holding board elections this year and seeking four new members to bring their professional skills and new ideas to our chapter! Stay tuned for election results.
NEDRA remained busy over the summer! We welcomed five new board members this year and launched a new committee that focuses on advocacy in our field. We also did a salary and benefits survey in order to continue helping professionals in prospect development and individuals applying for jobs in the field advocate for their compensation, benefits and resources.
We had several fun networking events this summer, including a trivia event and a think-tank event focused on parent research. We are kicking off September with our popular Research Basics Boot Camp program and look forward to many more programs and events this fall.
Apra New York (Apra-NY)
Greetings from Upstate New York! Our chapter’s mantra is “share the knowledge” and the board is taking this to heart. In 2021, we remain committed to creating robust and affordable programming. Some highlights from the past few months:
- We launched our book club with “Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts”by Kate Racculia. Kate joined our inaugural book club meeting, which was great fun!
- We are excited to announce our next book club selection: “Uncanny Valley: A Memoir,” by Anna Wiener. A New York Times Bestseller, Wiener has written a page-turning account of her journey in Silicon Valley.
- Apra-NY Board VP Joe Stabb offered his expertise to nearly 200 webinar attendees in August 2021 on data mining and analytics within the realm of social media.
Looking forward, members can also continue to expect:
- Monthly educational webinars on various educational topics
- Monthly digital newsletters including industry news, trainings and information
- Several virtual networking opportunities are planned throughout the year
We are excited to welcome attendees to our chapter’s first multi-day in-person conference scheduled for Oct. 13-15, 2021 in Utica, New York. From engaging keynote speakers to timely presentations and hands-on workshops that participants can immediately implement into their shops, we are looking forward to greeting members at the Delta Hotel on Oct. 13. Here is more information: https://aprany.org/meetinginfo.php?id=29&ts=1611330145
Wishing all our fellow Apra chapters a happy and healthy start to fall.
Apra Utah excitingly continues to add new members to our growing chapter. We are well into planning for our virtual fall conference on Oct. 15, when we will discuss how chapter members highlight the impact of prospect management and research output to their managers and institutional leaders.
Looking into next year: In 2022, Apra Utah will celebrate its 20th anniversary! We will have a sub-committee (one of our chapter’s first-ever) to help plan for this milestone — fingers crossed for an in-person event. Additionally, we added the story of Apra Utah’s founding — the who, what, when, and why — to our website, as it is an important ingredient in celebrating who we are as a chapter.
This summer, our board discussed reinstituting a nominal annual membership fee in order to offset costs of increased programming and other chapter offerings. Feedback from our chapter has been supportive of this fee, which will bring Apra Utah in-line with most other Apra chapters. The four-person board would like to add these additional sub-committees in time if volunteer response is strong: marketing; new members; and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
These sub-committees are designed to mirror the framework of other Apra chapters, address important industry and civic issues relative to our field, and build a bench for future chapter leadership and volunteers.
The Apra Utah board is looking forward to ending our first year together on a high note and making 2022 even more successful!