Executive Leadership Cohort 2020
Tuesday, August 4 | 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Now in its third year, the Executive Leadership Cohort is intended for those individuals who are senior leaders in Prospect Development and who set new directions while motivating and inspiring their teams and colleagues. Specifically, ELC targets individuals who actively impart knowledge and externally advocate for the industry, have been working in the field for ten years or more, and have risen beyond just prospect development.
This targeted group will meet during Prospect Development 2020, participating in a set of discussions that will focus on the issues that Prospect Development and philanthropy face today, as well as the challenges that leaders deal with in their organizations in addition to their own careers. The program will be highly interactive, providing attendees with content, networking, and peer-to-peer learning that will enable them to better understand the value of leadership, and will include a set of open conversations facilitated by Apra members and career professionals. Discussions will be attendee-driven, framed within the context of strategic leadership and an understanding of the responsibilities of a leader.
Topics may include:
- Moving from tactical management to strategic leadership
- Managing diverse staff and blended teams
- Addressing change and ambiguity within the organization
- Managing up - both within and outside development
The cohort will be capped at 40-50 participants to ensure substantive conversations and networking opportunities. Participation in this Cohort is contingent on committee approval. The ELC selection committee uses the following criteria to determine applicant participation (not all criteria are required). Participants should:
- Have ten years or more experience in development
- Have oversight of more than one of Prospect Development’s core domains: prospect research, prospect/relationship management, or data science
- Have oversight of an area beyond Prospect Development’s core domains, e.g., stewardship, communications, training, reporting, etc.
- Serve as the Prospect Development lead at their organization
- Manage staff within their organization
We encourage interested individuals to register for the ELC by June 1, 2020, as your responses will help the ELC committee develop content for this year’s cohort. If you’re unable to register by June 1 or have additional concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Those who have been accepted into the cohort will be notified on a rolling basis beginning in early May. ELC participants must be Apra members and will incur additional registration cost.
The Executive Leadership Cohort has been shaped by the following advisers:
- Chair, Amy Carrier, Senior Director of Advancement Information Management, Oregon State University Foundation
- Vice Chair, Craig Leonard, Senior Director, Prospect Development and Analytics, University of Michigan
- Board Liaison, Sarah Daly, Director of Prospect Development, Southern Methodist University
- Conference Chair, Lindsey Nadeau, Senior Director, Prospect Development, UNICEF USA
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.